It's Senior Year and as you complete your college applications, scholarship packets, ask for letter of recommendations, it occurred to me that often students don't see questions that teachers are ask to answer.
Here are some questions that I recently read on a college recommendation.
If a teacher was asked these questions about you, what would they write? Who would you get to write a recommendation for you?
1. Student finishes whatever they start (sports, school work, jobs).
2. What distinguishes applicant from other students. Give examples of community service, awards and honors, personal obstacles.
3. Applicant is driven to succeed. Is applicant self motivated or do you as a teacher have to motivate and follow up. Does applicant accept responsibility for actions and failures.
4. Is applicant discouraged by setbacks. Do they threatened to give up or quit?
5. Can applicant negotiate life circumstances without being dependent on a parent or other adult?